The strategic importance of environmentally friendly energy storage systems is steadily increasing on an economic scale worldwide. Compressed air storage systems represent a possibility for highly efficient and environmentally friendly storage of electrical energy.
The aim of STOR-E was to contribute to a sustainable supply of standardized energy services with a cost-efficient storage of electrical energy. Compressed air storage (CAES), in contrast to batteries and water storage, combines low investment costs with environmental protection. This technology still owes the proof of cost efficiency on a small scale, even if this project was able to make a further step towards an industrial product.
The main findings of the STOR-E project are:
- When the technology is mature, CAES can make a significant contribution to the security of supply and reliability of decentralized energy systems.
- In-depth analyzes of three selected scenarios have shown that CAES - with an assumed injection and withdrawal efficiency of 55% - are competitive compared to conventional battery solutions and, in the case of emergency power supply, also to diesel generators.
- iC consulenten Ziviltechniker GmbH
- Ecole polytechnique Fédérale de lausanne / Technische Universität Lausanne
- Stadtwerke Hartberg Verwaltungs GmbH
- Spitzer GesmbH