Low carbon energy supply with energy storages is a challenge in cities, especially in historical urban centres, because interventions in these specific areas meet strict architectural protection constraints, involve higher implementation costs. Thus, one often comes into conflict with town planning policies.
The main objective of the project Store4HUC is to compile and improve energy and spatial planning strategies for historical city centres by focusing on integration of energy storage systems. The pilot actions installed in specific sites should be demonstrate the various energy storages that can be adapted and transferred to other local or regional environments. A pilot site is planned in Weiz, where a thermal storage is to be installed in a local heating plant. An electrical storage for renewable energy from a photovoltaic system is put into operation in an inclined elevator in Cuneo (Italy) and a paraffin based latent storage should be tested in connection with a geothermal district heating system in Lendava (Slovenia).
An own energy management tool will be developed for the monitoring of the pilot sites. Furthermore, an autarky rate tool should indicate the economic and reasonable utilisation of storages. A simple classification according to the archived autarky rate should made possible with this tool.
In addition to the technical measures, the project will strongly focus on stakeholder integration to reach the relevant players and to integrate their knowledge within the project. The results archived will be shared with the stakeholders and with other additional audiences.
- Preparation (P): Preparation of the project
- Management (M): Project management
- Thematic (T1): Feasibility of energy storages in HUC and stakeholder involvement
- Output 1: Stakeholder deployment concept
- Output 2: Assessment of current constraints and action plans for further steps
- Thematic (T2): Systematic procedures for implementation of energy storages in historical urban centres based on KPI
- Output 1: 4 Pilot actions in historical urban centres
- Output 2: Transnational strategy for the implementation and capitalisation of energy storages
- Output 3: Transnational trainings
- Thematic (T3): Setting up the tools for energy management and evaluation of the impact of energy storages for HUC
- Output 1: Finalized energy management tool for historical urban centres
- Output 2: Autarky rate tool to evaluate the impact of energy storage
- Output 3: Online guide for the software tools
- Output 4: Capacity building for tools usage
- Investment specification (I1): Energy management of the Bracak Manor with PV and batteries integrated in existing energy systems
- Output: Installations and equipment needed for energy management with PV and storage in Bracak Manor
- Investment specification (I2): Sloping elevator in Cuneo– Integration of an electrical storage
- Output: Installation of an electrical storage to operate a sloping elevator in Cuneo
- Investment specification (I3): Paraffin based latent storages in connection with geothermal district heating system in Lendava
- Installation of a latent storage and connection with the district heating system in Lendava
- Communication (C): Communication management
- Output 1: Raise awareness and increase knowledge
- Output 2: Influence attitude and behaviou
- Transnational plan for implementation and capitalisation of energy storage in historic urban centres
- Transnational trainings
- Implementation of various pilot sites
- Autarky-rate tool
- Energy management tool for historic urban centres